1. Start up WORD.
2. Indent the left and right margins by .5 of an inch.
3. Enter the following passage, only pressing RETURN at the end of each paragraph:
Human systems are likely to show symptoms of fatigue much earlier than electronic ones. Computer invoicing can quicken the rate at which debtors are discharged, and tighten credit control. Where input level and output of stock are computer controlled, stockholding can be kept at a minimum consistent with availability, and significant reductions in holding costs are possible.
Obviously, the installation of a computer which can repeat simple business operations such as debiting accounts or calculating employees' pay with great speed and negligible human intervention offers the advantage of reducing the demand for clerical staff. Sometimes, however, this tangible benefit is reduced because other work is found for the clerks.
4. Check your typing for any spelling mistakes by using WORD's spellchecker.
5. Set the justification on to neaten the right margin. Follow these steps to do this:
6. Indent the first line of each paragraph by .5 inches.
7. Insert the following paragraph between '...in holding costs are possible' and ' Obviously, the installation of a computer...':
Another benefit is the greater accuracy of the data on output documents, although in spite of built-in checks the occasional malfunction of a computer will produce obviously incorrect data. In a manual process obvious mistakes would probably be prevented by the common sense of an alert clerk. This greater accuracy may bring a reduction in the need for checking output with a lowering of clerical costs.
8. Change all occurrences of the following words: 'computer', 'stock', 'data' to italic script. (NB. use the 'Search' command.)
9. Swap the first paragraph with the last so that the text opens with the sentence "Obviously, the installation of a computer..."
10. Add a title 'TANGIBLE BENEFITS' to the start of your text and centre it.
11. Change the line spacing of the whole text to 2.
12. Save your text.
13. Print your work.
14. Quit WORD.